In the independent film industry, we need to come together on a macro level and commit to make the necessary changes that will allow us to survive. I believe our survival as filmmakers will be very similar to our pursuit to survive as human beings. Just as every human being needs to think about and change how they live so we can save the planet and ourselves, every filmmaker needs to commit to the fact that we need to change how things are done in our industry and work hard to implement those changes. We need to:
- work together and smarter
- share resources and knowledge
- assess and work hard to connect to and build audiences
- embrace and continue to advance technology
- mentor upcoming filmmakers
- take responsibility for selling our films
- take control of our careers and our survival
In other words, Take Action!
Steffen believes, "there’s another political force growing fast, and that’s the politics of optimism. It’s a politics that says transformation is not just a duty, it’s an amazing opportunity. We might, instead of doing nothing and leaving our kids a ruined planet, decide to build them an awesome future and spend the rest of our lives enjoying it. That’s the choice we wake up to every day now: cynicism or change."